Let us do the work today while you make memories that last forever!

This Holiday Season: Remember Fire Safety

Fire Damage Repair LBI, Fire Damage LBITis the season for the family get-togethers, decorating…and kitchen fires. Along with joy and mistletoe, the holiday season brings a spike in kitchen fires. With the hectic pace of preparing for the holidays, your attention can become divided to the point of distraction, increasing the risk of fire damage disasters. In fact, the NFPA states that the United States fires caused by holiday decorations cause an average of $13.4 million in property damage each year.

As you run around navigating this busy holiday season be mindful of the following fire damage prevention tips.

Preventing Fires: Cooking in the Kitchen

  • Never leave your stove top or electric skillet unattended.
  • Avoid using the highest temperatures to cook recipes.
  • Do not leave children unattended in your kitchen while cooking.
  • Follow ALL safety instructions and guidelines when deep frying a turkey. A grease fire can cause major damage and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
  • Make sure your kitchen is properly ventilated while you cook.
  • Avoid drinking excessive amounts of alcohol while cooking.
  • Do not leave wooden utensils, oven mitts, or wash clothes near a hot stove burner.
  • Turn pot handles inward so the chance of them getting bumped or knocked over is minimal.
  • If a fire breaks out in your microwave keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Take precautions when removing lids from microwaved food to prevent steam burns.

If a fire breaks out on your stovetop do not use water to put it out. Smother the fire with a pot lid, use salt, or use a fire extinguisher (especially if grease or oil are involved).

Preventing Fires: Around the House

Fire safety shouldn’t stop at the kitchen. To get in the holiday spirit you may decorate your home for the occasion. Keep these tips in mind while you deck the halls.

  • Do not leave candles or fireplaces unattended.
  • Avoid lighting candles if you plan on leaving your home shortly after. With the hectic holiday pace, you may forget to put the candles out.
  • Check any electrical decorations for damage to the wiring. Exposed wires are a fire risk.
  • Avoid overloading electrical outlets. Overloaded power outlets can spark and catch fire.
  • Keep any lit candles away from decorations or other items that could catch fire.
  • Make sure your smoke detectors are in working order and are properly placed throughout your home.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher in your home to quickly, and safely put out small fires.
  • Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from combustibles such as curtains, decorations, and furniture.

If a Fire Does Break Out

If a fire breaks out in your home during the holidays, get out immediately. Most homeowners think they have five minutes of trying to extinguish a fire before they need to vacate the premises. A small flame can turn into a major fire in less than thirty seconds and can double in size every minute thereafter. Typically, fast burning fires are caused by incredibly hot items such as turkey fryers, burning embers from a fireplace, or electrical fires from decorations.

After the fire has been put out by your local fire department contact a local fire damage restoration company to help get your home back to normal so you can enjoy your holiday season.

At Stretch Cleaning & Restoration in LBI, we would like to wish you a joyful and safe holiday season.